Wednesday, September 21

More Couponing Tales of Disaster

So what's the point in a blog if I can't vent a bit?  You'd think I would have learned my lesson after my latest trip to Kmart, but I had a couple more "difficult" couponing trips tonight.  I stood my ground and in the end scored some great deals and educated some cashiers.


My first disaster was at Walgreens.  I had $4/1 printables for Hawaiian Tropic and Banana Boat.  I bought 2 Hawaiian Tropics at $3 each, a Banana Boat at $2.63 and another at $3.12.  I immediately told the cashier that the coupons would need to be adjusted down.  She pushed 2 through at $4 then realized that wasn't going to work and called a manager.  The manager didn't want to take them so I pulled out the coupon policy and pointed out where it says:

The coupon amount must be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied. (For example, a $5.00 coupon for a $4.99 item will result in a $4.99 coupon value).

She still didn't want to take the coupons because they were for so much more than the clearance price and the example was only a penny off.  I was baffled by her logic.  I asked her for a district managers phone number and let her know I was going to be upset if I missed out on this deal because she wouldn't follow their coupon policy.  By this time I noticed the security guard was standing right next to me, LOL.  At any rate, the manager decided to call another store.  While she was doing so, I was writing down her name and she shoved her name tag in my face.  The manager she called talked her through the transaction and how to adjust the coupons down.  In the end, I got my deal and she apologized.  I was happy walking out with 4 sunscreens for the price of tax. $.94!


My next stop was Jewel.  I was buying some Marzetti caramel dip and apples.  I had a $1/1 coupon for the caramel dip and found a tear pad to "Save $1.00 on any fruit."  The coupon stated "Buy any one Marzetti Caramel Dip and instantly receive $1.00 off any fruit with this coupon."  The fruit coupons beeped because the coupon wants to attach to the dip.  It can't attach to the fruit because there is no way to track that.  After talking in circles with the cashier, explaining that one coupon was for the dip and the other for the apples, I had him void all of it out and asked him for a number so that I could call to speak to someone else.  No manager was on duty.  After I paid for my other things, he did find someone in customer service who validated what I said.  Again, I got an apology and my deal.

The moral?  Couponing can be hard work.  Pick your battles.  If the deal is worth it to you and you know you're right, stand your ground. Thanks for reading my rants! :)  Let's hear yours!

8 comments:

  1. You are such a pain in their a**es :-) - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I know! I feel bad, but not bad enough to pass up a great deal or pay an extra dollar, LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help it: YOU GO GIRL!!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl! Some cashiers and managers really need to learn their policies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its too bad that they make it so hard. you would think that it was money out of their individual pockets instead of encouraging spending in this hard economic time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ignorant people nowadays! I've had the same encounter with lazy cashiers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the encouragement! I'm not one to argue unless I'm sure I'm right...and in these cases, I knew I was. I'm just glad I didn't miss out on the good deals because of their lack of knowledge of coupon policies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOW all the suntan lotion goes on sale! Ugh!!! GREAT JOB!!!!! <3 KAL

    ReplyDelete